The Board of Elders of Otterbein Church is comprised of the Senior Pastor and (6) men chosen to serve as Elders. Elders serve a three-year term from January-December. Two Elders are selected annually. Elders function as the spiritual leaders of the church and are responsible for the following:
- Provide spiritual care and accountability for the congregation.
- Provide spiritual oversight and guidance to the church staff and all ministry leaders.
- Appoint all ministry leaders.
- Determine and uphold the beliefs and values of the church.
- Oversee church discipline of members of the church.
- Work alongside the Management Oversight Team to assure the direction and vision of the church falls within biblical teaching.
During October and November of each year, the congregation is invited to recommend names of persons for the office of Elder at Otterbein by completing the Elder Recommendation Form below. As you consider recommending persons for the position of Elder, please review the following qualifications:
- Elders must have attended Otterbein Church for at least three years prior to their election as Elder.
- Elders must be actively involved in at least one ministry of the church.
- Elders must be able to regularly attend Elder meetings and fulfill the responsibilities of an Elder.
- Elders must be persons of high moral integrity and spiritual maturity. They should be men of good reputation in both the church and community. 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, and the Seven Qualities of a Mature Reproducing Disciple of Jesus Christ (see below) shall be used as a guide to determine the spiritual fitness and moral integrity of an Elder.
Elder Recommendation Forms must be completed no later than November 15, 2021. After November 15, an Elder Selection Committee appointed by the Management Oversight Team of the church will review the Recommendation forms. The Elder Selection Committee will then interview all potential candidates who meet the qualifications for the position of Elder. Following the interviews, the Elder Selection Committee will choose by secret ballot the required number of Elders.