OC Serve opportunities are a great way to connect with others, grow spiritually, and make a difference for Jesus in another person’s life. Every follower of Jesus has been given abilities and spiritual gifts to serve others inside and outside the church. When we serve, we find purpose and experience greater joy in our lives.
As we look toward the fall, we have five areas of ministry where we have some specific opportunities to serve at this time. Check out the links below to learn more about each of the opportunities and what is involved in serving within those ministries.
Everyone who serves in a ministry with children and youth at Otterbein is required to complete a background check. If a background check is required, we will help you get it completed at no cost to you.
Ready to learn more and/or volunteer to serve? Complete the OC Serve Interest form below. Not sure what the "best fit" is for you? Choose the other box on the form and we will help you find the right place for you to serve. After we receive the completed form, a staff member will be in touch with you with more information and next steps.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us at the church. We would welcome the opportunity to talk with you about serving at Otterbein!
Hang tight while we prepare your form...
This form may capture sensitive data (credit cards, bank accounts…), yet this site isn’t sufficiently secured.
Please contact the site administrator to resolve this issue. He must enable SSL.
This form failed to load. Try reloading this page.
The server may be having issues, or this website’s administrator may have deleted the form.
8 a.m. Service:
- Adult helper (1-2 times per month) - no teaching required.
9:30 a.m. Service:
- Helper- Assist Nursery Coordinator - no teaching required.
- Helpers to serve during special/extra services throughout the year.
9:30 a.m. Service:
- 2-year-old room- helper (every week or every other week).
11 a.m. Service:
- 2-year-old room: adult teacher - every other month. All materials are given to you, little to no planning.
- 4-year-old room: adult helpers needed (weekly, every other week, or every other month); assist the teacher with classroom duties.
8:00 a.m. Service:
- K-5 Helpers: assist the teacher as needed (weekly, every other week, or once per month).
9:30 a.m. Service: Planned activities and materials are provided for the following:
- Special Needs Buddy: assist and support one child each Sunday.
- Kindergarten small group leaders (serves on a weekly basis).
- 2nd grade small group leaders (serves on a weekly basis).
- 3rd grade small group leaders (serves on a weekly basis).
11 a.m. Service:
- Large group teacher- using the given curriculum, plan, organize, and teach lessons.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are kids put into small groups on Sunday mornings? When Jesus walked on the earth, He chose 12 disciples to pour into. Yes, He would teach larger groups, but his main group consisted of only 12 men. Through Jesus’ example, we’ve created small groups to be the way we do ministry because we believe this is the best way to build life-long relationships among children and Christian leaders.
- What if one of the kids asks a question to which I don’t know the answer? That happens! This provides the opportunity for kids to see that you’re a real person and that it’s ok if you don’t have every answer. When this happens, we encourage you to find the answer with them or later that week and come back and use it as a discussion point the following Sunday.
- What if I don’t know enough of the Bible? You probably know more than you think! Lessons and Bible stories, with leader tips and discussion points (and answers) are given to you ahead of time so you can prepare for Sunday morning before Sunday morning.
- Will I have to make lesson plans for Sunday mornings? No, with the exception of weekly large group teachers in elementary and preschool, Sunday mornings require no planning on your part. Planning would be done by the director and/or large group teacher. Any activities that are planned would be written out and given to you in advance.
- Will I need to gather all materials I’ll be using on Sunday mornings? No. We have volunteers who gather materials for you if you are a small group leader or helper.
- What if I have to miss a Sunday because I’m out of town or not feeling well? No problem! Substitutes are available to fill in when needed.
- I can’t volunteer every week. Do you have a place for me? Yes! Nursery or preschool would be a great fit during any service. If elementary kids are your calling, we recommend volunteering during the 11 a.m. service. We’re also always in need of substitutes to fill in when leaders and helpers are out.
- Do I need to have children or classroom experience to volunteer? Absolutely not. We ask that you have a passion for Jesus and a heart for children. Training and support are provided throughout the year.
Ready to learn more and/or volunteer to serve in OC Kids? CICK HERE to complete the OC Serve Interest form and Amandy Myers (Director of Children's Ministry) will contact you.
OC Youth is looking for Male and Female Adult Small Group Leaders to serve at 9:30 a.m. each week and Crew Leaders on Wednesday Nights from 6:45-8:15 p.m.
Crew is our weekly Bible study with students on Wednesday nights. We go verse by verse and chapter by chapter through Scripture while helping students figure how to navigate God’s Word for themselves. This group is an hour-long small group which ends each week with some fellowship time. Prep for this is simply reading and praying over the next chunk of the Word we are going through and maybe even learning a video game or two.
OC Youth on Sunday Mornings:
We are looking for volunteers to be Adult Small Group Leaders for our Middle and High school students. Each week during the 9:30 a.m. service we have a time of worship and learning in a large group setting led by Pastor Dwight, Seth, and our student leaders. After our message, students break out into small groups where our volunteers take that message and make it practical for our students right where they are at in life.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is expected each week? Each week our leaders show up fifteen minutes early to OC Youth, interact with students during fellowship from 9:15-9:30 a.m., participate in praise and worship, and be willing to engage a small group with questions and insight that you receive from that day’s message.
How do I teach teens? Each week leaders receive a leader guide earlier in the week that has general questions based on that week’s upcoming message. Read over it, and be ready to engage your student’s questions as you help navigate the tween/teen years together. Some leaders like to co-teach each week, while others like to take turns being the leader.
How often do I serve? We believe teens thrive when the leader is consistently there engaging the students. This is a weekly serve, but we know that everyone can’t be there every week, and it is also one of the reasons we teach in teams: so you can take time off when needed.
What if they ask a question that I don’t know the answer too? It’s okay to say, “I don’t know, but I will seek out the answer with you.” Students find more value in someone who is ‘real’ with them and is willing to help them grow.
Ready to learn more and/or volunteer to serve in OC Youth? CICK HERE to complete the OC Serve Interest form and Pastor Dwight Karkan (Youth Pastor) will contact you.
Do you have a heart for people and to see them grow in Christ? Then consider facilitating a small group of men, women or couples as a Small Group Facilitator. We will provide access to thousands of great teaching videos and provide a discussion guide or you can discuss Pastor Mike’s sermon with provided questions. Add a time of prayer and maybe an ice breaker (ideas provided) and discover the joy of growing in Christ with others.
Ready to learn more and/or volunteer to serve as a Small Group Facilitator? CICK HERE to complete the OC Serve Interest form and Pastor Mark (Pastor of Adult and Family Ministries) will contact you.
More Details Coming Soon about opportunities to serve on our Worship Team.
Ready to learn more and/or volunteer to serve on our Worship Team? CICK HERE to complete the OC Serve Interest form and Caleb Fuller (Worship Leader) will contact you.
We currently have opportunities to serve on our Sunday Morning Tech Team. The Tech Team runs the technology required to support our worship services. This include song lyrics, lights, cameras, etc. Volunteers generally serve once a month for all three services. Training is available. It is a great ministry opportunity for people who enjoy working with technology and like working “behind the scenes” with a small group of people.
Ready to learn more and/or volunteer to serve on our Sunday Morning Tech Team? CICK HERE to complete the OC Serve Interest form and James Hunt (Technical Director) will contact you.